Pages

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Day 2 - Santa Watcher


 This is Santa Watcher.  He has been around for many, many years.  When I was growing up, my father had a woodworking area in our basement.  One day I found this scrap piece of wood.  I don’t know how old I was at the time, but I thought the scrap looked like a little man with a big nose, so I drew what I imagined on the wood.  It was near Christmas at the time and I brought it upstairs to show my family.  I don’t remember who named it or how it managed to be placed by the fireplace to watch for Santa – but he became the Santa Watcher right then and there.  We would bring him out every Christmas and I believe my dad would fuss about how silly he was (his fussing became part of the tradition).  Santa Watcher is now in my Christmas decoration box and I bring him out every year and set him by the fireplace to watch for Santa.  I like how he seems to be so casual and content with his task I took several photos of him and this is the one that I think turned out the best.  (He is standing next to the prayer stick that is in honor of my nephew which is always by the fireplace.)

1 comment:

  1. I love the story behind Santa Watcher! What a fun, unique tradition! I hope we can create memories like this with our boys! Hope you are well!!

    ReplyDelete