Pages

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Day 1 - Happy Birthday!



Today’s first July “minatures” post is in honor of my niece Carsen’s 16th birthday.  I am not able to be with her as she lives too far away, but I celebrated this milestone day by creating some miniature presents, cards and a strawberry swirl birthday cake.   

To make the presents I wrapped an extra die, a bead (that actually has a C on it) and a small building block in various papers and used different strings, floss etc. for ribbons.  

 The cards were printed on card stock to the size I wanted and then cut and folded.  


 
The strawberry swirl cake is made with model magic.  I took some white model magic and patted it out flat.  I then colored one side of it with a red sharpie marker.  Then I kneaded the dough until the red marker produced the swirl effect.  (I was excited about discovering this process though my own experimentation and made a couple of beads using the same format.)  I covered a wood disc with foil for the cake plate and used wire out of a twist tie with star stickers for the cake decoration.  I wish I had made the cake a bit more elaborate, but I was excited about the new color process and was running a bit low on time.  I think it is a festive start for what should be an interesting and challenging month for me. 

This was a special occasion and so I made three related items.  Future posts will be cover ONE item.    Let me know if the comments if you have any suggestions for things I should miniaturize.    Happy Birthday Carsen!   I may not be with you, but this should prove that I am thinking about you.

1 comment:

  1. OH MY GOSH!!! These are soooo cute! I love the cake. It makes me want to be Alice in Wonderland

    ReplyDelete