Pages

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Day 6 - "I Love Books"



(Click on ATC for a larger, more detalied view.)


Process – With today’s challenge of using a transfer technique, I knew that I had two simple ways to do that (tape or sticker paper).  I chose the sticker paper option.  I will admit upfront that I had to do two versions.  The first transfer came out fine, but didn’t look as good or as defined as I wanted it to look.  (I transferred a photograph of books rather than clip art drawing.)  So this is the second version and I learned a few things through the process of doing two of these, so that is an added bonus.

I started by covering the ATC base with a page from a book using the bookbinding method.  I then found the picture that I wanted to transfer.  This is the simplest transfer technique for ink jet printers that I know.  I had my office manager save as many of the sticker backing sheets as she could from the mailing labels she was using (because I knew that I could eventually do something with them………).  I placed the paper in the printer so that the glossy side would be the one upon which the image would print.  As soon as it came out of the printer I flipped it over on to the card and rubbed the back with a bone folder.  The image came off perfectly.  I liked what it looked like, but decided that I wasn’t done yet.   

I already knew I was going to name the card "I Love Books" and thought it would be fun to print that on there.  However, since hooking up my old printer to my new computer, I couldn’t find the mirror image button (which has been a problem for other projects).  It then occurred to me that I could reverse Word Art before I printed it.  So I printed “I Love Books” (in Book Antigua font of course), filled it in with a bit of orange color and flipped it horizontally for the mirror image.  I then printed it (on the same piece of sticker paper that I had previously used and applied it to the card (a bit crookedly, but I am okay with that.)   I love how this turned out and want to do more things with this simple transfer technique on old book pages.

Name - The name should be fairly self explanatory.  I love books.  I love reading them (I just finished 3 this week).  I love making them. I love doing art projects with them.  I love looking at them on my shelves.  I love the words and the pages and the bindings.  I have a Kindle Fire and appreciate the convenience (and free books), but I would much rather curl up with a real book any day.  If there were Book-aholic Anonymous meetings to help people “get over” such an addiction, I would definitely qualify as a potential member, but I would never choose to go

Challenge – Use a repeated image or pattern in the ATC for tomorrow

1 comment:

  1. This may be my favorite. I need to do some transfer technique experimenting.

    ReplyDelete